New Years Day

Want to tell other WSRC members that you will be flying at Holman...this is the perfect place!
ustahfli
Leading Spacecraftsman

New Years Day

Post by ustahfli » Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:28 am

Ok. Here’s the deal. If we want to do anything, it’s gonna rain...or snow... or flood... or blow! So, just plan ahead! I got a pair of divers goggles from my neighbors garage clean-out, and I’ve been researching bio-degradable de-icer! I think, at least maybe, that if I wipe my plane down with olive oil, the water will run off before it freezes! It might have to be reapplied before each flight, though. :roll: :mrgreen:
Might have to rent those hurricane heaters for the pit area :oops:
Oh well.... there’s always next year! :mrgreen:

ustahfli
Leading Spacecraftsman

Re: New Years Day

Post by ustahfli » Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:39 am

It got cold enough, and snowy enough, that I started listening to Jimmy Buffet songs. You know, about Margaritaville, and re-thinking last year, and came across this. Same song, different verse. So here we go again! But, no Rum! Get em’ together, fueled and charged, get your coat on, and come on out on New Years Day! :P :mrgreen:

L82fly
Wing Commander

Post by L82fly » Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:29 pm

Hope to see you Sunday, the weather looks great!

ustahfli
Leading Spacecraftsman

Post by ustahfli » Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:49 am

01-01-23!! We made it! And had a chilly fly-in that hasn’t been this much fun in quite awhile. Day started off by arriving before anyone else, (one achievement), then getting the first flight of the new year (second achievement). Later, the most spectacular crash of the day! ( my own assessment based on what I saw).
Started off with only a few showing up, but all were firmly committed to have a good time. Kieth and Kip got the chilly going and I got the second bowl. Hard to beat Kelsey to the chow!
Quite a few fellows showed up right around noon and really dug into the food! The sun came out and the day turned out really nice! Different than most of our New Year’s Day outings! Mild wind mostly down the runway.
Didn’t get the ‘first crash’ award, but had my wing peel off at full throttle about a hundred feet up, after doing two axial rolls (quite a feat for me)! Thanks to the fellows that helped me remove nearly all the evidence from the farmers field. Had a good time with the Big Stick for the last year, but will move on the the next one now. Good day all in all, and several renewed their memberships for this year. AND, there is a new gate code, so everyone should hurry up and do that! Next club meeting is next Monday, so plan for that, and save that $10 late fee for some new equipment! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

L82fly
Wing Commander

New Years Day

Post by L82fly » Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:13 am

Its going to be difficult to surpass what we had yesterday...

Amazing weather, great food and a really good turnout for the '23 New Years Chili Fly. While on the food subject we had three totally different approaches to Homemade Chili which were all amazing in their own rights! I really had a difficult time deciding which was my favorite but after sampling each chili and three helpings of that cake I was sold :D :D

Hands down (in my opinion) the very best dish brought out to Hollman for the '23 Chili Fun Fly was that Cake made by Mike's daughters!!

kbob
Squadron Leader

Post by kbob » Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:28 pm

Great day at the field even though I had an incident with one of my planes. We ended up with 19 members coming out to participate and 13 managed to get their first flight of the year in. Best turn out we have had in many years. Here are a few pictures from the day.
Scott and Steve getting a flight in.jpg
Scott and Steve getting in a flight.
judging a flight.jpg
The peanut gallery judging Scott's flight.
Steves B24.jpg
Steve's B24. Nice model.
Dave getting ready to fly.jpg
David getting ready for a flight.
Chili time.jpg
Time for chili.
Ricks latest project.jpg
A look at Ricks latest project.