Westside Events 2018

Discuss details of events, shows and fun fly's in here.
poowensiii
Spacecraftsman

Bloody Wonder Racing Series

Post by poowensiii » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:53 pm

Introduction:
Are you feeling a need for speed? Well, you're in luck!
We are introducing a new racing series based on the very inexpensive Flite Test DIY foam plane called, "The Bloody Wonder."
There will be a total of twelve(12) races scheduled over six days. Races will begin at "high noon" on the 2nd and 3rd Saturday of May, June and July with two heats per day.
We realize that inclement weather and personal obligations will make it difficult to attend all races, so only your best six races will be used for scoring.
Read on if you're interested in the race rules, point calculations and plane specifications.

Race Plane Specifications:
Any version of the flite test Bloody Wonder is allowed (https://www.flitetest.com/articles/FT_B ... atch_Build).
No modifications to the design are allowed that try to improve the aerodynamics of the plane, however slight changes to strengthen the airframe are allowed.
The one exception to this rule is that participants are allowed to incorporate the battery into the fuselage.

Motor - 2212 1400Kv
Propeller - 8x4e
Battery - 3-Cell 1800mA to 2200mA
Servos - Any 9g to 12g servo you like (may also use 2 or 3 servo aileron setup).
Reciever - Any 3ch to 4ch you want.
ESC - Any 20amp or more you want. System tests at approximately 190watts.

A limited supply of full size plans are available, free of charge, through the club. Tiled and full size plans are also available from the Flite Test website listed above.
The club also has a few motors ($10.50ea) and propellers ($2.50ea) available for sale. Call Phillip Owens if you're interested.

Race Points:

For each race heat, below are the minimum number of points to be awarded to the top three finishers.
1st place finish - 5 points
2nd place finish - 3 points
3rd place finish - 1 point

Additional point(s) will be awarded to the top three finishers when more than three contestants participate in a race. In other words, one additional point will be
awarded to each of the top three finishers if there are four total racers. Two points will be awarded to each of the top three finishers when there are five racers, and so on...

For example, a race with five contestants will awarded points to the top three finishers as follows;
1st place - 7 points
2nd place - 5 points
3rd place - 3 points

For heats with fewer than three contestants, the overall finish position still awards the normal set of points (5 for 1st place and 3 for 2nd place).
Race results will be posted to this forum.

Race Rules:

Racing will begin at high noon (2nd and 3rd Saturday of May, June and July). Contestants will be given a 30 second window to launch their aircraft and get their game face on.
At this point a 15 second count down will begin. Racers should try to position their plane as close to the starting line as possible when the starting gun fires, without crossing it.
Crossing the starting line before the gun fires will result in a disqualification.

Contestants are required to make eight full laps without cutting inside the two pylons (located at each end of the runway).

There will be a five minute downtime before the second heat begins. Therefore, contestants will need to have two fully charged batteries ready.

Any additional questions will be answered prior to the race or you may direct questions to the board.

At the time this post was written, we had nine contestants. Will you be number 10?

Phillip

L82fly
Wing Commander

Re: The “Rusty Dog” Fun Fly

Post by L82fly » Fri May 04, 2018 7:56 am

A Knock off the Dust and Rust event...
Sponsored by Westside R/C Flyers!

What is it?
Just an easy day at the field for all to get ready for the upcoming season

When is it?
Saturday May 5th field opens at 9am, it's still cold in the morning you know!

What if there's bad weather?
Not happening.....The weather will be perfect!

Where?
Hollman Field, Yukon America!

Landing Fees?
Nope, None, Zip

Will there be Refreshments?
Drinks, dogs and chips. Maybe some healthy donuts early in the morning?

What are the Requirements?
Must show current AMA and adhere to local field regulations!

Hope to see you there !

The forth time is a charm!
face.jpg

L82fly
Wing Commander

Post by L82fly » Fri May 04, 2018 12:44 pm

I was out there last night and was surprised how dry the runway area and pits were. There is still one area standing in water along the West fence line of the parking area but other than that it looked good. Keith is heading up the mowing team this week and he said they were starting around noon today so we should be in really good shape for the Cinco De Mayo / Rusty Dog!

poowensiii
Spacecraftsman

Post by poowensiii » Sat May 05, 2018 8:54 pm

Kip,

All I can say is that it was well worth the wait. You picked a FULL day of fantastic weather!!! My grandson and I enjoyed your chili dogs, brats and all the fun flying.
Let's do that again very soon!

Phillip

L82fly
Wing Commander

Post by L82fly » Mon May 07, 2018 9:23 am

Finally we had a successful Rusty Dog after three failed attempts! What a great day for flying and just spending some time outdoors…Temperatures were mild with virtually no wind, wait how can this be… It’s Oklahoma!! Thanks to all those members and visitors that participated and for those that were tied up elsewhere you missed about the best weather one can ask for at Hollman :D

Looking forward to the next edition, hopefully we can luck out and get good weather again?

poowensiii
Spacecraftsman

Re: Bloody Wonder Racing Series

Post by poowensiii » Fri May 11, 2018 10:30 am

Race Contestants,

Unfortunately, the weather forecast for tomorrow calls for continued strong winds and therefore our first race day will be CANCELLED.
I'm hoping next weekend will bring calm winds. Keep your fingers crossed.

For those of you that have not completed your plane, this is your opportunity!

See you on the track,

Phillip

poowensiii
Spacecraftsman

Post by poowensiii » Thu May 17, 2018 8:22 pm

Race Contestants,

I'm hoping we'll get lucky Saturday and have perfect weather for a race. If so, be sure to get there in advance and test your plane setup. Racing will start at noon.

These are the assigned race numbers.
Race Contestant #
Kelsey Daughty 1
Kris Kennedy 2
Jim Hays 3
Tyler Young 4
John Gritz 5
Hank Hamner 6
Jonathan Chippeaux 7
Phillip Owens 8
Keith Gorrell 9
Rick Shipman 0
Ronan Feronti ?

Phillip

poowensiii
Spacecraftsman

Post by poowensiii » Sat May 19, 2018 8:57 am

Race Contestants,

Due to a high wind forecast, I am cancelling today's race. The next scheduled race is the second Saturday in June.

Phillip

Kelsey,
I picked up the same knife yesterday but haven't tried it yet! Good to hear it works.

poowensiii
Spacecraftsman

Post by poowensiii » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:34 pm

6/15/18 UPDATE:

They're foreasting another hot and windy day tomorrow. Much like today, the winds will run 15-25mph.

Is there anyone interested in racing in these conditions?

poowensiii
Spacecraftsman

Post by poowensiii » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:43 pm

Kelsey and other racers,

I agree. Flying in this weather is not fun.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to participate in the two races scheduled for July. Is anyone willing to run those events?
I have a race form to log the outcome. It has the point scoring rules as well.

There will need to be two people, not racing, to watch the pylons and log anyone that cuts
inside (that's a disqualification).