Outerzone

Histories, Stories, Airplane Movie Reviews, and Flying Model Connections
Dustdevil
Spaceman Basic

Outerzone

Post by Dustdevil » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:50 am

The Outerzone

You gotta love the name of this site.

In 2013 I first posted about the Outerzone and that it had 5039 sets of plans available. Today it offers 7100 plans. With the amount of interest shown in our indoor venue now seems like a good time to review this great internet site. This is the place - http://outerzone.co.uk/

I typed “rubber power” into the search block (upper left corner) and got the names of 319 plans for rubber powered airplanes. But, if you make the search from “Browse plans” by category you will find 1398 plans. Here are a couple of random examples (note they are jpegs):
4023.jpg
7230.jpg

The Outer Zone page could use a little organization, but it is workable. There are several ways to view plans on the site. First scroll down until you see the column titled “About Outerzone.” Shown in blue are links to a variety of pages. They are listed below:
Browse plans: a listing of plans by category
List all: a listing from A to Z of all available 7100 plans
Search: if you know the name of the airplane you are looking for use this page
Advanced search: a more detailed search engine
Tag Matrix search: combine search parameters here
Latest plan thumbnails: a listing of the latest plans
Latest model pics: 5252 pictures of models

Using Browse Plans to search by category can save a lot of time. However, if like me, you like to look at airplanes searching by pics can be fun.

Once you settle on a plan click on it and then download it. You will have to click on two download buttons. All plans are in PDF format. This means you will need an Adobe Reader to make use of them. If you don’t already have one on your computer the Adobe Reader is a free download from the Adobe website.

Once the plan is on your screen click on the print button. This brings up a screen with a number of options. “Page sizing and handling” is where you set the wingspan. Click on the “poster” button - this lays the plan out on connecting sheets. Be sure you click on “cut marks” - as it makes cutting the sheets down much easier.

If the plan is for a 36” span you may change it to any size by adjusting the percentage parameter - it starts at 100%. 200% will make a 72” wingspan. Since many of you are engineers and I’m not - I’ll leave it to you to figure out the conversions. Of course, there is the option of providing dbot with the plans and he can print them at whatever size you want. Check with him on pricing.

Building from plans is a fun thing to do and Outerzone offers a tremendous array of possibilities. Many of the rubber powered models are simple in design and easy to build. Give it a shot - you might like it.

Here is the plan for a 38” Bebe Jodel:
Jodel_Bebe.pdf
(138 KiB) Downloaded 268 times