Eindecker Electric Set-Up

Open discussions regarding Electric R/C aircraft, motors, speed controllers and events using them.
poowensiii
Spacecraftsman

Eindecker Electric Set-Up

Post by poowensiii » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:40 pm

Steve,
Converting your 10 lb Eindecker to electric will cost approximately $200 to $300 depending on the equipment used. I will start with product manufacturers I have used and then mention the less expensive China products.

You're currently using a Saito 115 (hope I remembered that correctly). Using this as a benchmark we have a 20.6oz engine turning a 15x6 @ 8800 rpm (plus fuel of approx. 14oz.).

A 5S Li-Po battery with a 480Kv motor will very closely approximate your current set-up (18.5V x 480Kv = 8,880).

I like the Rimfire motors and Castle Creation ESCs (Tower Hobby sells them so you can catch a discount). The Rimfire 42-60-480 will handle 5S-6S cell counts (1850W burst, 830W constant, 80A max & 45A constant). It weighs 9.5oz and swings a 13x10E to 15x8E prop. Perfect specs for a 1,000W target system. It sells for $90.

The Castle Creations Phoenix Edge 75A 34V w/ 5A BEC sells for $102 and may be a little more than required. If you find a 60A ESC w/ 4A-5A BEC or 60A ESC w/ separate 4A-5A BEC (BEC is approx. $10) that would also work and possibly save a few bucks.

That leaves the batteries. I like the Rhino packs that Hobby King sells though there are many other good manufacturers. A 5C 2700mA-3000mA pack (25C) sells for about $20-$25 and weigh between 13oz and 16oz.

The overall weight of the electric system will be equivalent or even less than the glow set-up.

If you decide the ~$300 price tag is too high then we can ask around and see what other manufactures members have used and shoot for a sub $200 system. Maybe a Turnegy G60-500Kv (12.86oz, 65A, 1500W) for $54 and a Turnegy Plush 60A ESC w./ 4A SBEC for $35 (SBEC is a switching BEC and is more efficient).

Hope this helps.

Phillip

Wingnut
Spaceman Basic

Re: Eindecker Electric Set-Up

Post by Wingnut » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:06 am

Hiya Phil,
Thanks for the info. It all sounds pretty complicated for me anyway. I'll have to try and digest it all and see what I can come up with. Dustdevil is helping me work on this conversion too and I sure appreciate the time and effort you guys are putting into it for me. I can use all the help I can get when it comes to electric power. Thanks again. :D

Steve
Takeoffs are optional......Landings are mandatory

To visit my gallery on RC Universe click the link below
http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/pro ... emid=52877

poowensiii
Spacecraftsman

Post by poowensiii » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:20 am

Steve,

Please post an update when you finish retrofitting your Eindecker with the new "electrified" setup. Details, details...

Phillip

Wingnut
Spaceman Basic

Post by Wingnut » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:12 pm

Phil,
The E-III conversion is complete. All that has to be done now is to test fly and I hope to get that done as soon as the winds and my nerves are calm. I would post a few photos to show what was involved in the conversion but the site won't allow me to do so as it tells me all the photos are too large and I don't know how to reduce them to an acceptable size. I can say that it was not at all a difficult process once I had the technical information with regard to power, weight, battery size etc. in hand and for that I thank you and Jim VanDeman (Dustdevil) for all your time and patience in helping me come up with a package that I'm sure will do the job in fine fashion. I hope to have the E-III at the field soon and look forward to NOT having to spend a 1/2 hour or more cleaning up all the goo after a days flying.

Thanks again
Steve

L82fly
Wing Commander

Post by L82fly » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:17 am

Wingnut wrote: I would post a few photos to show what was involved in the conversion but the site won't allow me to do so as it tells me all the photos are too large and I don't know how to reduce them to an acceptable size.
Wingnut,
If you're using Windows 7 you can resize images in Paint or if you've downloaded the free Windows live photo gallery that will work as well. If you're running another O.S. just tell me which one. Once you've told me I'll send you some screen captures on how to resize in a few easy steps :)

Wingnut
Spaceman Basic

Post by Wingnut » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:55 am

Hey Guys,
Thanks for the info on trying to re-size the pics. I'll give it a try later. For now I will post the motor test results. I'm new to electric power so I hope the following info is helpful.

Motor, Turnigy G60-500KV.
Prop, MAS 16X6 composite.
ESC, Turnigy Dlux 100 amp.
Battery, Zippy Flightmax, 5S (18.5V) 4000Mah, 40C.

Max RPM 8200 at full throttle.
1220 watts of power @ 68 amp draw at max throttle.

The battery was only slightly warm at the end of the run and the ESC felt pretty much normal with little to no heat change that I could detect.

The only thing that I am puzzled about is the fact that during this test, the motor surged similar to the way a glow engine does when it is set a bit lean. When full throttle was left open, in just a few seconds the motor would "catch up" and really produce some power. Any thoughts on what causes an electric motor to surge?

As I stated earlier, I'm pleased with the power produced by this set up and am very confident that the E-III will fly fine at about 1/2 throttle or just under as it did with the Saito 115.

I hope this information is helpful.

Steve

Wingnut
Spaceman Basic

Post by Wingnut » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:29 pm

It may well be set on soft start as I believe that is a factory default setting. I was not aware it would make a difference. When I ordered the ESC I did not order the program box as I assumed I would be good to go with the factory settings but if I need to order the program box I can do so.