Parchment paper

Area for sharing anything that might help out fellow modelers. Great place to post a question or something you learned the hard way but could save others the same grief!!
kdoughty
Wing Commander

Parchment paper

Post by kdoughty » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:57 pm

I don't know how many of you have heard of Parchment paper. It's a non-stick cooking paper. I hadn't heard of it until I did the T-shirt transfers. You put it over the transfer to iron on so the iron won't stick to the transfer. I tried some different glues on it and I haven't found any thing that will stick to it. That includes super glue and Epoxy. When I was working on the Cessna , they suggested using wax paper , BAD idea because the super glue would stick to it. I put super glue on the parchment paper and it just beaded up like water on wax and then just wiped of. I put Epoxy on it and let it dry . I It just pealed off with out sticking. Next time I build anything I will be using Parchment paper and not wax paper.
Attachments
100_0476.JPG

L82fly
Wing Commander

Re: Parchment paper

Post by L82fly » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:27 am

KD Was this at the grocery store?

kdoughty
Wing Commander

Post by kdoughty » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:25 am

I got it at Wallmart supercenter in the baking section.
Great stuff. You can put it over Epoxy filler and then smooth it out with a credit card . Let it set up and then just lift the parchment paper off. I won't stick to it.

kdoughty
Wing Commander

Post by kdoughty » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:55 am

Someone asked me if you could overlay plans and see thru it. I wasn't sure .so I checked and you can. The only problem I had is you can't tape it down ,because the tape won't stick to it. Here's a picture. By the was , I just saw a ad for it on TV.
Attachments
100_0484.JPG

Dustdevil
Spaceman Basic

Post by Dustdevil » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:22 pm

Strapping tape will hold it down. I bought a roll of parchment paper today and when I was ready to use it the closest roll of tape was fiberglass reinforced strapping tape. It works. Probably duct tape will work as well. Then there is always baling wire.

kdoughty
Wing Commander

Post by kdoughty » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:43 pm

That's good to know. I used masking tape and it wouldn't stick at all.

kdoughty
Wing Commander

Post by kdoughty » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:26 pm

I tried Duct tape and it kind of sticks,it might hold long enought to get some pins in it.
I had to do some filling on the ABS plastic tail cone. I did it on some of the Parchment paper. It worked great ,as the epoxy ran down on the paper and didn't stick. Here is some pictures.
Attachments
100_0487.JPG
100_0488.JPG
100_0489.JPG
100_0490.JPG

L82fly
Wing Commander

Parchment paper

Post by L82fly » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:59 am

At build night we tried the parchment paper that Kelsey suggests and found it be much easier to work with than the wax paper we've used in the past. CA doesn't stick to or seep through it, the only drawback is tape doesn't even stick to it very good so you might have to pin it to your plans...Thanks Kelsey!

TOSS THAT WAX PAPER :D