Gas Engine Hub Removal

Area for sharing anything that might help out fellow modelers. Great place to post a question or something you learned the hard way but could save others the same grief!!
cevans
Spacecraftsman

Gas Engine Hub Removal

Post by cevans » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:59 pm

WP_000144.jpg
WP_000145.jpg
WP_000146.jpg
WP_000143.jpg
WP_000142.jpg
Tip Stripped, not enough for a Bolt to Hold. Good Job Sgt!!!
Well oh SGT did it again, was changing out props on the Yak and what da ya know i stripped the prop bolt. So pretty ticked off at myself but i ordered a new hub and bolt $10.00 and will be here next week from BP Hobbies.

If you ever have to take off your hub esp on a RCGF Gasser here are some steps that will make your life a lot easier.

1. You will need a 12mm Deep Well Thin Wall Socket.
2. Propane Torch and Heat Gun.
3. Make sure and eat your Wheaties, the thread locker from the factory is a Pain in the Arse. You have to use the Torch to heat up the bolt that is connected on the crank or it will not break free.

1. You have to heat the prop bolt up to loosen up the factory thread locker.
2. While the bolt is still hot, take your 12mm socket and wrench and turn counter clockwise.
3. The actual Hub is held in place with a key and has a taper on the actual hub. I found a heat gun Heating up the Hub and a large flat tip screw driver works wonders.(Be Careful of the retaining key when pulling off the hub).
4. Reinstall new hub and bolt.