Landing gear toe setting

Area for sharing anything that might help out fellow modelers. Great place to post a question or something you learned the hard way but could save others the same grief!!
topher77
Spaceman Basic

Landing gear toe setting

Post by topher77 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:06 pm

I have been fighting ground handling issues with my eflite p-47d since I got it. I'm aware that small taildraggers with scale or close to scale wheels will be inherently tough to taxi on grass around here but my question is this. I've noticed a tiny bit of play in the toe setting so I plan to epoxy the strut into retract mount to prevent toe in. Since the strut is outboard of the wheel and tire, should I input a small amount (maybe a half degree) of toe out so when rolling in grass they twist slightly back to straight, or should I just glue them straight ahead with no toe in or out?

Wingnut
Spaceman Basic

Re: Landing gear toe setting

Post by Wingnut » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:53 pm

ustahfli wrote:Everything I can (still) remember about landing gear says put toe-in in the mains.. Supposed to be more stable as the plans lifts off, or something.

You're right Ron, slight amount of toe-in. Toe-out will cause the plane to want to pull to one side and then the other or "wander" during take off and tail draggers, especially warbirds can be a hand full to keep straight during takeoff at the best of times.

Cheers
Steve
Takeoffs are optional......Landings are mandatory

To visit my gallery on RC Universe click the link below
http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/pro ... emid=52877

topher77
Spaceman Basic

Re: Landing gear toe setting

Post by topher77 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:05 pm

I will set it with a slight amount of toe in. Thanks for the tips fellas